On December 5, 1916, a small group of men and women climbed onto narrow scaffolding that encircled the top of the Capitol dome to assist in the laying of the building’s capstone. The headline of the Daily Capital News referred to these as “The Brave Ones.” Commemorative coins were placed in the mortar before the capstone was lowered and sealed. This event marked a milestone in the Capitol’s construction, which began three years before on May 6, 1913. One hundred years later, the Capitol is entering a new phase of construction as restoration to the building’s exterior continues.
For more information on the Capitol’s construction, visit our Centennial Events page.